VISUAL LITERACY : SOPHISTICATED PICTURE BOOKS
do illustrators evoke emotion?
do they want us to discover about the characters/setting etc without telling us in words?
What associations surface in your mind?
following techniques are designed to influence your responses
- Cropping – cutting
off parts of the picture
- Light – is one
part of the picture darker or lighter than another?
- Visual weighting –
altering the proportions of the picture
- Colour – provides
many signals, black and white shades, contrast
- No frames –
the picture becomes visually part of the story
- Focal distance –
- White space –
- Line – is it
straight, thick, thin etc
- Breaking the frame
– part of the picture comes out of the frame
- Size and scale –
emphasizes one of these aspects
- Multiple frames –
more than one frame ie picture
- Perspective –
from whose perspective is this scene seen?
- Font style –
relates to story/atmosphere/time/character
- Directionality –
- Shape – circles
(no sharp edges – family), triangle (stability), square (sharp edges)
(see below for greater detail)
Images can be manipulated to control or persuade you to think in a certain way – think about this in terms of
Questioning The Pictures
what you notice about the pictures
why the illustrator may have done this
about what it means in the story
you link the story to another story or a prior experience?
- Think of the dominating colours
– warm or cool
- What do they make you think of?
How do you feel?
- Are the colours bright, pale,
- Why has the illustrator used these
- Does a particular object have
more light on it than others?
- Is a certain mood created by use
- What shapes are mostly used?
- What effect do these shapes have?
- Why has the illustrator used them?
- Look at the foreground/background
- Think about what dominates the
picture and the effect this has.
- Where is your eye drawn to? How?
Why? What effect does it have?
- Is there a frame around the picture?
Why/to what effect?
- Look for internal framing/external
- Does it look as though the characters/objects
- Will they move?
- How does the illustrator give
a still picture movement and energy?
- Notice the way the characters
§ Look for lines
drawn in bold/light, flowing/disconnected – what is the effect?
§ Take note if
some objects are shaded or fully coloured.
Size and Scale
§ Do objects/characters
appear larger/smaller in relation to others?
§ What effect
does this have?
Close up/Long shot
§ Is the subject
focused on close up or with a background?
§ Are you looking
straight at an object or down on it or up at it?
§ What is effect
and how does it make you feel?
Use of White Space
§ How does the
use of white space affect the picture?
§ Does it draw
your eye to it or give a feeling of loneliness?
§ Look for repeating
symbols that seem significant.
Did you notice that I used different fonts???? Why?????