BOY by Roald Dahl
is non-fiction – that is true rather than imaginary:
main forms of non-fiction are: biography, autobiography, travel, history and real life adventure
- write a brief definition for each of these and give an example, noting the title, author,
publisher and year of publication.
- which of these headings does Boy come under?
author, Roald Dahl
Dahl wrote several books about is own life as well as many children’s books. Go to his website to find out about some
- List the books about his life and briefly explain which part of his life they cover.
- Write a paragraph about any aspect of his life you think sounds interesting (other than
the period covered in Boy)
Introduction: Read the introduction to Boy and explain in your own words
why Dahl wrote the book.
Structure: The story of the novel or play is called the PLOT
- Why is it less likely for an autobiography to have a plot
- How is Boy structured?
- Write a paragraph for each of the 4 sections, explaining what it is about.
On a map of Europe, trace Boys
trips. Use a different colour for each – you should include
– Sarpsborg (near Oslo), Paris, Cardiff, Llandaff
53 Going to Norway, Cardiff, London, Newcastle, Oslo, Tjome
on a map of Great
include St Peter’s, Cardiff, Weston-on-Mare, Bexley, Repton (near Derby)
There were several important places
in Boys life – some where he was happy and some where he was less happy.
describe the place – in your own words but with a couple of brief quotes
with examples the good and/or bad features of life in this place
a paragraph on your own life comparing QMC with Repton (do not get personal about teachers!)
6 Roald Dahal Bio Poem
of or Sister of)
(three different things that the person loves)
(three different feelings and when or where they are felt)
(three different things the person gives)
(three different fears the person has)
like to see (three different things the person would like to see)
(a brief description of where the person lives)
Construct a poster
using the biopoem but include as much information as you can about Dahl’s life ie photos, what he liked, typical
Excellence – shows a deep understanding of
Dahl and presented creatively
Merit – shows understanding with suitable
Achieved – shows an understanding with neat