Sophisticated Picture Book Assignment
- To read a short story and be able to transpose the written word into
meaningful visuals to enhance the story line.
- To show that you understand the mechanics of sophisticated picture books.
- To understand the concept of “show, don’t tell”.
- To relate Dahl’s writing to the fairy tale concept (see Dahl and
reading, “The Landlady” by Roald Dahl, you are to create an A4 sized illustration of either
What Billy Weaver sees through the window before entering the house OR
The scene in the living
room while drinking tea
There is a copy of the story on this site.
are to do only ONE illustration.
- In your illustration you must include as many of the techniques which
we have discussed.
- You are to write (bullet point) your use of each of these techniques
to show what you used and why (max 750 words).
be established in class but there will be two separate assessments – one for use of techniques and one for artistic
merit. As not all of you have my huge drawing talents (!!!!), I understand that the construction of such a picture may not
be easy, you may use clip art, collage, magazines, images etc. The two assessments
will be independent of each other.
luck and have fun! Remember there were secrets hidden in that house just as there will be secrets hidden in your illustration!